Live Review - Tapes 'n Tapes/White Denim

Some thoughts on the Tapes ‘n Tapes / White Denim show from Saturday night at the Music Hall of Williamsburg:

1. That was my first time to the (still kind of) new Music Hall and I thought the sound was pretty good. I’m not a sound man though, so it might have been shit and I still would think it was alright.

2. If you’re going to gut your building and remodel it after another venue then The Bowery Ballroom is an excellent choice. Manhattan’s finest midsize venue now has a Brooklyn clone.

3. I’ve tried a few times since hearing about White Denim (mostly from Gorilla vs. Bear) to get into them, but for some reason they never really took. But the other night they were phenomenal - playing high energy, nervy garage rock that had me and my show buddy convinced immediately we were watching a top notch band.

4. After White Denim (pictured above, btw, in a photo swiped from An Aquarium Drunkard) finished I predicted to my buddy “Tapes ’n Tapes won’t be as good as that”.

5. Tapes ’n Tapes weren’t as good as White Denim. Not by a long shot.

6. They opened with “Jakov’s Suite”, which was incredible and never matched by anything that followed until a really pretty “Manitoba” in the encore.

7. They ran through about 4 or 5 songs in a row from Walk It Off after the first song, and only “Le Ruse” was really any good. “Time Of Songs”, which I kinda like on record, didn’t connect live. “Conquest” was serviceable and “Headshock” was instantly forgettable.

8. About halfway through the set I went to pee and noticed the downstairs area was nearly deserted, which was strange for a sold out show because the upstairs wasn’t overly crowded either. I didn’t have to fight my way through the crowd back to my spot halfway to the stage.

9. They played “Insistor” and “Hang Them All” back to back late in the set, and I’d guesstimate that half the crowd left after that. Yikes.

10. That was a shame because, like I said, “Manitoba” sounded great in the quick 2-song encore.

11. Overall I thought TnT put on a rather ordinary show that had a few high points but too many long stretches of boring songs that didn’t seem to connect with the audience. Besides “Hang Them All” and a couple of other stand outs, Walk It Off is not a strong record and the live show made that really apparent.

12. I’d go see White Denim again anywhere anytime.

13. This is the last time Tapes ’n Tapes gets mentioned on PHW until my Favorite Songs Of The Year List in December. I think we both could use a break.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

MP3 :: Hang Them All
(from Walk It Off. Buy here)

MP3 :: Insistor
MP3 :: Omaha
MP3 :: Cowbell
(from The Loon. Buy here)
----------------------------------------------

White Denim:

MP3 :: ShakeShakeShake
MP3 :: Don’t Look That Way At It
MP3 :: Let’s Talk About It
----------------------------------------------

1 comment:

mcas said...

2007 Noise Pop! Opening Show with Tapes 'n Tapes... the exact same thing happened. 1/2 the crowd left, the other 1/4 were outside. It was really sad. I left feeling depressed.

The previous time- June of 2006- they were amazing live... Did the line-up change? What happened that led to such a downfall? The new album isn't bad, per se, but nowhere near as bad as their live performances...

(I already paid $12 to see White Denim play a 25 minute opening set once this year... not going to do it again.)