New Music - Arms

Last weekend I got myself wrapped up in a new album called Kids Aflame by Arms, and I‘ve been meaning to get a post up about it ever since. You may have heard of The Harlem Shakes. I have. Never heard their music (yet), but I’ve heard of them. Arms is the solo project of Shakes guitarist Todd Goldstein, and Kids Aflame is his debut solo album. He’s Brooklyn-based (surprise!) and has been recording songs on his own for a few years now. I read the review over at Treble and the interview over at I Guess I’m Floating, both of which perked my interest.

Kids Aflame may be most noteworthy for its diversity - if there’s a sub-genre to indie-rock this album probably has it covered. “Whirring” was released as a single last year and kicks the album off with driving, anthemic guitars. “Kids Aflame” feels vaguely like The Smiths doing ukulele-led folk, and “Shitty Little Disco”, a song from a 2004 EP of the same name, has an 80’s feel to it. Every song is a winner and each seems to have its own personality - perhaps a result of the album being pieced together over the past 3 years. Check it out.

MP3 :: Kids Aflame
MP3 :: Whirring
(from Kids Aflame. Buy here)
-----------------------------------------

No comments: