Spoon Reveals New Album Details

------------------------ "who named this thing?"---------------------

Over the past few years Spoon have slowly and surely crept up to the top of the short list of my favorite working bands. Girls Can Tell, Kill The Moonlight, and Gimme Fiction are 3 of the top rock records of the decade, and their live show is one of the best going. The band recently revealed the title and tracklist of their new album, once again to be released by Merge, and hitting stores July 10. The album will contain 10 brand new songs, and according to a recent article over at Billboard, will have more of a soul feel, which maybe suggests more songs like “I Turn My Camera On”, less like “The Guestlist/The Execution”. That’s O.K. with me too, I’m a fan of all phases of Spoon music.

I’m excited, it’s always fun to anticipate what a new album from a favorite band will sound like. I love everything about this. Everything, that is, but the album title. Seriously, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga? Is that a joke? The above titles, along with A Series of Sneaks, each seemed to perfectly capture that sound and feel of the music the album contained. Girls Can Tell, with its piano enhanced focus on more pop-leaning songs, Kill the Moonlight with its deconstructed, skeletal stabs at pop-rock, Gimme Fiction with its rich sonic detail and vivid characters. They all made sense. They all fit.

I just went looking through my iTunes to see if I could find a worse album title than Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Be He Me stood out. So did The Longest Meow, Just Like The Fambly Cat (notice a pattern with those two?), Gangstabilly, Return To Cookie Mountain, and The Hour of Bewilderbeast. Each of these is particularly cringe-worthy, and there were plenty of others too, but you get the idea. None of those are as dopey as Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Not by a long shot. All day I’ve been hoping this is a joke, that the real name, something really cool like We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank or Our Endless Numbered Days, will emerge. But I think it’s for real. I know that it really doesn’t matter all that much. I know the songs will sound great. I’m sure even the cover art will be fantastically impressive. But God, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga?

The tracklist (spelling intentional) for (cough) Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga:

Don’t Make Me A Target
The Ghost Of You Lingers
You Got Yr Cherry Bomb
Don't You Evah
Rhthm And Soul
Eddie's Ragga
The Underdog
My Little Japanese Cigarette Case
Finer Feelings
Black Like Me
------------------------------------------------

Visit Spoon’s website for music, tour dates, videos, etc.
------------------------------------------------

Here is “Don’t You Evah”, performed at Stubb’s in Austin TX - 3/17/07:




---------------------------------------------------------

No comments: