Led Zeppelin Get Digital

The Daily News reported earlier this week that Led Zeppelin will be releasing their music online in the usual digital places (iTunes, etc.) on November 13. These leaves only 2 of rock’s all-time bands yet to join the digital world - The Beatles (I’m sure Sir Paul will make the jump once the deal and timing are right) and Radiohead (who’ve recently proven that they don’t need to follow any sort of normal path of online distribution). The band will simultaneously release a(nother) retrospective, the 2-CD Mothership, on the same day.

Led Zeppelin, like many of you I’m sure, were one of the first classic rock bands I gravitated towards during my formative musical years. Without an older sibling to guide me to The Smiths, The Cure, or Sonic Youth during the late 80s I became fascinated with any and all bands played on classic rock radio. Even today, after my love for The Doors, Pink Floyd, and, er, Steve Miller have long since run their course, I still find a little Zep every now and then does the trick.

“When The Levee Breaks” is my favorite, and has to be one of the biggest, scariest, most dominant sounding songs I’ve ever heard. It rides what could easily be considered the most recognizable drum track of all time (how many times has it been sampled?) for 7 pulsing, pounding minutes. “Stairway” may get the radio love, but it’s not in the same league as this wild take on the heaviest of Delta blues. And how about some “Custard Pie” too, just because it was a favorite from when I was a kid.

MP3 :: When The Levee Breaks
(from Led Zeppelin IV. Buy here)

MP3 :: Custard Pie
(from Physical Graffiti. Buy here)
----------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: