MP3 Round-Up, Vol 1. 1/19

Since I started Pop Headwound 3 weeks ago I‘ve come across a ton of great music online. There’s no way I could keep up with it to the extent it deserves and give you multiple write ups every day on all the worthwhile bands that I find. So, here’s a sampling of some mp3’s I’ve come across this month that I think are worth checking out. Some of which I’ve written about recently, others that I wanted to but couldn’t find the time. Where appropriate, I’ve given the links of where I found the songs myself. Enjoy!



07 Murder In Michigan.mp3” - David Vandervelde. Read the Pitchfork review here. Vandervelde dresses up as T. Rex for Halloween and fools everyone who's never heard of them. Found this one at Stereogum, but the mp3 has long since been removed. It’s from The Moonstation House Band. For some reason the song "Nothin' No" won't let me upload it, or else that's the one that would be here. It's a great song, check it out here.


The Sons Of Cain.mp3” - Ted Leo & the Pharmacists. The first released song from Living With The Living sounds fierce and revitalized, displaying a punk enthusiasm Ted only hinted at on Shake the Sheets.


02 I Will Always Love You.mp3” - Viking Moses. Yup, that “I Will Always Love You”. Read about this track at Said the Gramaphone for some true insight.


Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse.mp3” - Of Montreal. Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? is the new album, hitting stores 1/23. I'd heard of this band in the past, but hadn’t listened until now. I’ve added this to the small list of cds I’ll be picking up Tuesday.


01 On the Bubble.mp3” - The Broken West. I’m really looking forward to I Can‘t Go On, I‘ll Go On, also coming out 1/23. I’ve heard 5 songs and all are really, really strong. Check out An Aquarium Drunkard for a nice write-up.


03 Wet And Rusting.mp3” - Menomena. Found this over at Rawkblog. Their comparison to TV on the Radio is what attracted me, and they do sound like a kinder, gentler version of that band. Friend and Foe, their new albuum, is reviewed at Pitchfork. They said it’s the first great indie-rock album of 2007.

No comments: