Deerhoof - Offend Maggie

Offend Maggie is my Deerhoof breakthrough. I’ve mentioned in the past how I’ve always admired Deerhoof’s ability, musically speaking, to sound so avant-garde and arty and still rock so freakin’ hard. But then there’s Satomi Matsuzaki’s anime squeal of a voice, an instrument often so distracting that it made listening to The Runners Four or Friend Opportunity seem like more of a chore than something done out of pure enjoyment. Offend Maggie is the first of the three Deerhoof records I’ve heard that I can say I sincerely enjoy straight through - and I don’t know exactly why that is. It still sounds just like Deerhoof - it's weird and abrasive and stylistically all over the map. Maybe the guitars, especially on album opener “The Tears And Music Of Love”, are just, I don’t know, crunchier. And Matsuzaki’s voice sounds like a natural part of the beautiful clatter surrounding it. The only thing I don't understand is why they whited out my face on the cover. It’s out on October 7, with a free digital download with a vinyl purchase.

MP3 :: Offend Maggie
(from Offend Maggie. Buy here)
-----------------------------------------

Check some older tunes:

MP3 :: +81
(from Friend Opportunity. Buy here)

MP3 :: Wrong Time Capsule
(from The Runners Four. Buy here)

MP3 :: Milking
(from Milk Man. Buy here)

MP3 :: Sealed With A Kiss
(from Apple ‘O. Buy here)

MP3 :: Holy Night Fever
(from Reveille. Buy here)
-----------------------------------------

No comments: