[video] Sparklehorse - "Little Fat Baby"



I don’t have anything to add to the discussion regarding the recent suicide of Sparklehorse’s Mark Linkous. Though the band’s catalog was one that I always intended to get around to diving into, I just never did. There are plenty of worthwhile tributes out there this week remembering this talented and tortured artist, and I’m sure if you are interested you know how and where to find them.

“Little Fat Baby” is the one Sparklehorse song that I am well familiar with, having heard it on an Uncut compilation back around its 2001 release on It’s A Wonderful Life. Little did I know though, until tonight, that the song shares lyrics with a Vic Chesnutt song, whose own recent tragic end has led to my further exploration of his back catalog over recent months. From what I’ve read, “Little Fat Baby” is actually about Chesnutt, and wasn’t going to be released until he heard it and gave it his blessing. Guess he did. It’s a beautiful, weird little folk song that I’ve been listening to for the better part of the past hour. It should have been a gateway into the Sparklehorse catalog a long time ago. Better late than never.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: