[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Stop Encouraging Us (Minneapolis, 1983)


Though the 6-week Mats renaissance I’ve enjoyed since the end of January has subsided (I pretty much didn’t listen to anything else for a while in there), I’ve still got a handful of bootlegs and rarities I’d like to share over the coming days/weeks. This show, nicknamed Stop Encouraging Us, is again from the 7th Street Entry in their hometown Minneapolis. It was recorded on June 24, 1983 and, like the recently posted show from Houston, is from the time period leading up to career peak Let It Be. This is a rough recording, another that might be for hardcore fans only, but it’s another thrilling look into what the best rock & roll band of their day was capable of when they weren’t just messing around (though a country version of “God Damn Job” covers that, if it’s what you’re into). Notable for a few reasons - “You Look Like An Adult” is an early run through “Seen Your Video” with very different lyrics. Unrecorded Westerberg originals “Why Flop” and “Punk Poop”. Covers of “Hey Good Lookin’”, “Temptation Eyes”, “I’m Eighteen”, and yeah, a very rough run through Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades”. This ain’t for the faint of heart.

ZIP :: The Replacements - Stop Encouraging Us (90.6 MB)

Setlist:

1. Hayday
2. Stuck In The Middle
3. Takin’ A Ride
4. Favorite Thing
5. Take Me Down To The Hospital
6. Love You Till Friday
7. I Wanna Be Loved
8. Job Country (country version of “God Damn Job”)
9. Color Me Impressed
10. Mrs. Brown You’ve Got A Lovely Daughter
11. Lookin’ For Ya
12. You Look Like An Adult
13. Fuck School
14. Hey, Good Lookin’
15. Why Flop
16. White And Lazy
17. I’m In Trouble
18. Run It
19. Willpower
20. Ace of Spades
21. Otto
22. You Lose
23. Temptation Eeys
24. Buck Hill
25. Punk Poop (1977)
26. I Will Dare
27. Mr. Whirly
28. Gimme Noise
29. I Hate Music
30. I’m Eighteen
31. Kids Don’t Follow
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously:

[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - The Shit Hits the Fans
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Houston,TX 1983
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - It Ain’t Over ‘Til The Fat Roadies Play
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Murder At Maxwells
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Live at The Roxy, LA
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Shit, Shower, & Shave
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Simply Unacceptable, July 1985
[Live/Bootleg] The Replacements - Putting On The Ritz, NYC 1987
[Bootleg] Paul Westerberg - Unintentionally
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was 7 years old in 1983. My sister however, was 18 in 1983 when the drinking age was 18 in Minnesota. She always knew where all the good bands where playing and where all the best parties were in Mpls. She turned me on to the Replacemnts at a young age and I was instantly smitten. Thanks for posting all of these old shows. I can pretend I was in that tiny little room (7th ST) right along with her watchin the Mats.

Jaime said...

Wow, didn't have this one. Thanks a lot, makes my day - my week. Keep it comin'!

bob said...

thank you...this is so cool