New Music - Fuck Buttons

I’m normally late to albums from genres I’m not in love with. Eff You See Kay (pronounced Fuck) Buttons new album of miniature electronic symphonies, Street Horsssing, is just such an example of my tardiness. I bet I’ve heard the name (like you could forget it) many times since they released the album for free on their website last year, but avoided a listen because, well, that’s one scary name. Turns out there’s nothing to be frightened of at all - unless you’re a guitar purist who can’t deal with beautiful, gently swelling washes of computer and synth generated noise effects and incoherent (albeit low-in-the-mix) screaming. This blending of sounds creates an environment that straddles the line between aggressive and tranquil - a world of beautiful noise that’s hard to leave.

And I can’t describe this music any better than that. I don’t know the right cliches, but for some reason I think this music transcends them anyway. Like The Field (whom “Bright Tomorrow” recalls). Fuck Buttons (it’s a funny thing typing that, like I’m going to get in trouble or something) are one of the most deservedly hyped acts out there right now. Street Horsssing has now been made properly available from ATP Recordings - and it’s the most combative and rewarding new music I’ve heard in a while. Glad I finally listened.

MP3 :: Bright Tomorrow
MP3 :: Sweet Love For Planet Earth
(from Street Horsssing. Buy here)
--------------------------------------------

No comments: