New Music - The Dø


Last week I got an unsolicited email from a very fetching French duo. Normally I pass on bands with promo pics that look like Gap ads, but the music of The Dø (that fancy slash through the “o” changes the pronunciation from the traditional “due” to “doe” - as in doe ray me fa sol la ti doe. You know what I mean) was immediately pleasing, and stood out in the sea of mediocrity that emails like theirs normally bring. I found myself listening to their cute and quirky pop songs for a good part of my weekend.

Maybe I’m completely wrong on this, but I don’t think The Dø have made many waves here in the States yet. I’d never heard of them prior to last week. They have had over 2,000,000 myspace visitors though, so somewhere people are listening. “At Last” is the new single from their 2008 album, A Mouthful. A disarming vocal performance from Olivia B. Merilahti (she’s found “a man I can trust, trust with my dust”), a smooth, slow groove, and a seductive, Velvet Underground-esque lead guitar line carry this song. And though not quite as frenetically sample & beat-happy, “Playground Hustle” has all the cheerleader-chanting fun of The Go! Team. Check this stuff out.

MP3 :: At Last
MP3 :: Playground Hustle
(from A Mouthful. Buy here)
--------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Cathy G said...

YES! The Dø are fabulous. Their album A Mouthful came across my desk 2 weeks ago and I am in the midst of writing a rave review for it.
They also haven't had a lot of airplay/recognition in Australia. But if you are a fan of eclectic pop/rock, then these two quirksters have got it going on.