[mp3] The Broken West - "Perfect Games"

The release of The Broken West’s debut, I Can’t Go On, I’ll Go On, last January coincided with the start of this blog, and was featured in one of my very first posts. Not that my posts are often very professional sounding now, but it makes me cringe looking back at some of those awkward first steps. I’d like to think that I’ve come a long way since then, but the truth is I still just kind of throw some thoughts together with an mp3 or 2 and hope a few people discover something they like. Sure, technically speaking I feel like I'm better at what I do here, but there’s nothing particularly wrong with a lack of artistic growth as long as you’re doing something that some people find interesting, right?

The first single from The Broken West’s soon to be released sophomore record, Now or Heaven, shows that the band hasn’t changed much over the past 18 months either. The production is slightly more polished and the rythym section is tighter and more insistent, but otherwise the glistening, sun shining in your eyes power-pop of their debut hasn’t been tampered with in the least. “Perfect Games” is a pure West Coast sing along; a rousing, harmony laden run through the byrds and the bea(tle)s. They may be looking for flaws in the diamonds, but there are none to be found here. Now Or Heaven comes out September 9, again via Merge.

MP3 :: Perfect Games
(from Now Or Heaven. Info here)
----------------------------------------------

No comments: